Tuesday, September 8, 2020

City of Angels

On my last night camping, I rather stupidly chose to stay on top of a hill, imagining a scenario like the morning before where I was able to watch the sunrise while eating breakfast and packing up. However, the hilltop I chose on my final night left me exposed to a strong, battering wind that persisted all night long. My tent basically collapsed around me, and a broken pole ripped through the tent itself and the rain fly (which I'd erected for warmth). I chose to burrow deep inside my sleeping back and try to ignore the chaos around me until about 5:30 a.m., when I finally gave up on seeing the sunrisem— realizing it was too windy for my camp stove to heat up breakfast, anyway.

I hiked back to my car in the pre-dawn semi-darkness and then started driving toward Los Angeles, searching Google Maps for "pancakes" en route. I (very happily) chose a little diner called Carolyn's Cafe in Redlands, CA. Their signature item is a very moist coffee cake doused in butter, which I chose as my side for my egg and potato plate (in place of a pancake, after all). 

I got to LA around 11am, showered at my friend Austin's apartment, and then headed to the Getty art museum for a couple of pleasant hours (though I did feel a bit overwhelmed by all the people). That afternoon/evening, Austin and I hiked up to Griffith Observatory and back, then did a delicious Thai dinner with Austin's gf at the time, and my friend Mo. 

view from the Getty

The next morning, I got coffee/breakfast with Mo and then the two of us hiked back up to the Observatory. My calves were very tight — I took more daily steps in LA (30k-36k!) than on any other day on my entire hiking trip! 

touristing with Mo

Later that morning, I headed downtown: checked out the public library, Grand Central Market, Japangeles, City Hall, Olvera Street (where I somewhat unwittingly ordered a cheese enchilada plate and a margarita that together cost $46. womp). 

pretty tiles!
street food in Japangeles

Then I walked to a contemporary art museum downtown that happily was free, then I took the train back to Austin's. I caught the sunset solo at Barnsdall Park and then drove south to San Diego, arriving there around 8:30 p.m. Just one more post in this long saga!


No comments:

Post a Comment