Sunday, September 6, 2020

Joshua Tree, Part I

Upon leaving Mojave Preserve, I drove southeast to Joshua Tree National Park. After getting advice, a postcard, and two stickers from the Oasis Palms Visitor Center, I drove to Indian Cove Road, parked at the backcountry registration board, and then hiked just over two miles on a slightly uphill trail until I reached a flat-ish spot on a crest overlooking the valley I'd just left behind. 

It was New Year's Eve. I wrote in my journal that night: "I'm so content right now. (This is) one thousand times better than getting drunk and staying up for midnight!" I remember reading in my tent until about 10 p.m., and then happily going to sleep. 
 
When I saw this, I thought to myself, "What a fantastic title: 'Apostle of the Cacti.'"

View from my NYE campsite

very content.

sunset sky



My favorite informational sign in JT.

No comments:

Post a Comment