Monday, September 7, 2020

Joshua Tree, Part II

The morning of Jan. 1, 2020, I woke up warm and cozy in my tent (I think the first night of the trip that I felt warm the entire time). I woke to the sound of an owl gently hooting and the sight of a spectacular sunrise. I made a delicious pot of oatmeal and drank darjeeling tea while watching the sunrise and packing up my tent. Then I hiked back to my car and drove the 15 minutes to the town of Joshua Tree, where I bought gas and fancy coffee before driving back into the park.

Then I drove the entire length of the park from north to south, stopping all along the way for 1-3 mile hikes / nature trails along the way. Pros: I learned some plant names and facts! Cons: Crowded, and I was sick with a sore throat, runny nose, and cough (well before covid became known to the average American). 



not my tent, but this is where I was supposed to camp that night - glad I found a warmer option!



Ok, other pros: obviously beautiful. I really enjoyed how the snow accentuated the rocks and plants. 

My last hike of the day was to Lost Palms Oasis. I hiked to the oasis and then most of the way back, camping about two miles from the trailhead so that I could get an early start on the road the next morning. 



see the palms in the center of the panorama?

cool, right???


On the "back" of my out-and-back, I witnessed possibly the most spectacular sunset I've ever seen.





This is from the next morning. Wildlife spotting!

No comments:

Post a Comment