Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen, Part II

Yesterday I tried cooking again. You'd think it would be an intuitive thing, but either I was born with a defective culinary intuition or it has to be learned. Because I've been struggling much more than I think I should. I tried to fry okra and it took me two hours because earlier when I tried boiling beans I learned that I can't multitask in the kitchen because I get distracted and forget that there's water boiling or cookies in the oven or whatever it may be. (The cookies did turn out okay though— gotta love slice & bake.) I also managed to set off the fire alarm twice and now the entire apartment smells like grease. I think it saturated my clothes and skin too, because I felt greasy until I showered.

So that's on my to-do list of life goals, learn to cook. But I've learned to stay away from the category of fried foods.


In spite of my cooking struggles, I had a very pleasant afternoon. On the way home from work, I found a really cute used bookstore. I spent a few minutes poking around in there and walked out with three new books. I realized the other day that I haven't read any books since I've been here, something I'm not okay with since reading is always a priority for me during the summertime. So last night after cajoling some of the Robbies into eating my fried okra, I curled up on the couch with my newly acquired copy of The Da Vinci Code, which I'll be absorbed in for the next few days.
  
I love used bookstores




1 comment:

  1. On, Missy. How thoroughly disappointing it is to sit here, late at night, secretly waiting with excitement to continue to spend my summer vicariously through you, only to find a re-run of earlier times! I quietly slip from bed, light a candle so that Jimmie will not wake, curl up in the corner of the closet, and open my iPad to continue my adventure only to find that it has come to a sudden and indefinite stop with fried okra. My mind wanders to pole dancing and the like and dream of becoming world famous. I see my new tv show on the food network, taking over as the new queen of southern cooking, only to be jolted back into the real world. So I tip back and slip into bed hoping that my journey will continue tomorrow night.

    Get with it girl or I'll eat your apple"

    ReplyDelete