Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On the Sedentary Lifestyle

Today I discovered the Latin Workout station on Pandora just before I started on a run. I think it was the highlight of my day. I haven't run in ages because the weather has been so bad, so the gorgeous day + Latin pop + long run made me very happy.

Especially compared to the rest of the day, which was spent at my magazine internship in Greensboro. Don't get me wrong, I love my internship. My supervisor is great and I enjoy the assignments she gives me. But I've realized that sitting inside all day will be the death of me. I can tolerate it well enough for once a week, but I truly cannot imagine being confined to a cubicle for 45 hours a week. Even for 40 hours a week or 30 hours a week. I need to be outside; I wilt if I'm inside too long.

What career can I pursue that won't be a waste of my college education, will engage me intellectually, AND won't limit me to days of 68°F fluorescent lighting? Supposedly in journalism I can do "field work," but I'm starting to fear my time will be spent sitting inside on the phone rather than going places to meet people face-to-face. Although, that is one thing I like about journalism: its value of direct human communication. The Daily Tar Heel policy is adamant that in-person interviews are best, phone interviews are acceptable, and email interviews should be avoided.

Today's professional world is artificial in so many ways. I hope that I can find a career that gives me authentic human interaction and real movement and diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment