Monday, April 24, 2017

Memphis

I hadn't been to Memphis since I was a baby, so this weekend I drove the three hours to visit the National Civil Rights Museum and to see a bit of a new place. 


I walked across a pedestrian bridge to Arkansas! My first time to that state! And a great viewpoint for photos of the Memphis skyline.

one M-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-i
Do all cities have a street like this?
chalk art!

I was struck by all the empty warehouses near the waterfront — something you'd never see in Nashville.


The Civil Rights Museum was extremely impressive. Thorough, thoughtful, honest, and realistic without being aggressive. A really emotional experience that was at once humbling and inspiring. I wish all Americans were required to see it.

This made me cry.

hero
This was one of my favorite parts of the museum. The portrayal of civil rights was beautifully nuanced.
fantastic dinner at Hog & Hominy



I woke up at 6am to drive back to Nashville for the March for Science. It was worth it just to see this girl with her sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment