Sunday, January 13, 2019

NZ - Part II (interisland ferry, Abel Tasman, Heaphy, Pancake Rocks)

On my fifth day in New Zealand, I took a ferry from the North Island to the South Island
The views through Marlborough Sound were gorgeous! 


Then I drove a few hours west to get to my campsite for the next two nights. Most of the way I was driving along the coast, but I also drove through some mountains that took me into this wall of clouds.
one of many gorgeous views on my drive

one of many funny flightless birds I saw on my trip

I
Either the sunset or the sunrise (I watched both) at my campsite at Abel Tasman

Abel Tasman National Park

one of many incredible coastline views at Abel Tasman

some beach debris

panorama of the beach I camped next to

This sign on the Heaphy Track means: Watch out for the giant carnivorous snails!

Self-timer selfie! (in the tussock downs of the Heaphy Track)

endangered takahē that was released near one of my campsites on the Heaphy Track

self-timer selfie on the gorgeous Heaphy Track!

The Heaphy starts in the mountainous jungle, crosses dry tussock downs, and ends by the ocean.

Heaphy Track

Following the Heaphy, I drove about five hours to Christchurch (which will be in the next blog post). Along the way, I stopped at various tourist attractions, including these "Pancake Rocks" made of limestone layers that have stumped scientists.
Then I ate some deliciously fluffy (real) pancakes at the touristy cafe across the street. #worthit.

No comments:

Post a Comment