Monday, August 5, 2019

Fam time in ENC

I love being between jobs. I am in the lucky (I say this seriously) 50% of Americans who don't live paycheck to paycheck, so I could afford taking three full weeks off between my last day at Morehead-Cain and my first day at CCPS. As you know (if you read this blog), I spent the first week in the PNW. I spent the second week moving in Carrboro, and I spent the third week with family in Eastern North Carolina.

QT with the rents at Lake Gaston
Dad and I watched a dragonfly emerge from its nymph form into a fully winged adult!!!! Then I got online and read ALL about the dragonfly life cycle. Most of their lives (up to five years!!!) are spent as nymphs in the water! Then they spend only a few months as winged adults.

I'm publishing this blog post on a very special day: the 24th birthday of my middle sister, Janie. Serendipitously, we were between jobs at the same time, and we got to spend a lot of that free time together. I loved getting to hang with her so much before she left for her year in Kenya! Among other things, we walked Caesar:

QT with dog-sitter Janie in Tarboro




June promised her a pedicure in exchange for walking Caesar while June was driving Davis to his summer internship in St. Louis. Janie was a very good dog mom.

We accompanied Dad to the graduation party for his medical residents at ECU:
At one of dad's work parties in Greenville. Janie Wanie loooooves rainbow birthday cake.

We cuddled with Caesar:

early-morning cuddles with Caesar, precious angel
And together, we did an oral history interview with our nearly-91-year-old maternal grandmother, Mimi:

Janie and I did a three-hour oral history interview with Mimi. In preparation, she cut up angel food cake and instructed us to spread strawberry cream cheese on it. There was also fruit salad and a marshmallowy coffee cake.

The other small dog of our family: Mimi's companion, Maggi (no "e")
Before establishing my CCPS start date, I worried about being bored with three weeks off. In fact, it went by really fast. I treasured being able to spend relaxed time with my family in Tarboro, in Greenville, and at Lake Gaston. I'm so lucky to have them and to live near them!

No comments:

Post a Comment