Friday, September 4, 2020

Mojave National Preserve: Day One

I ended up spending only two days in Death Valley because all the high-elevation hikes were snowed out. They were jam-packed days with many miles of hiking each day (about 20 miles total I think), but I ended up feeling grateful for my extra day in Nevada because Red Rock Canyon was so gorgeous and my hiking options in Death Valley were more limited than I originally expected.

After my second full day in Death Valley, I drove in the (pitch-black) darkness to an area called Tepoca in the Mojave Desert. There, I stayed at a campground I'd found online before my trip, called Tecopa Hot Springs Campground and Pools. Rather than the simple shower I'd normally get at a campground, I instead got to soak in a hot spring pool. 

The pools were separated for men and women, and no clothing (including bathing suits) was allowed. The women's section had two pools, a concrete one that was a bit cooler and a pebble-bottom one that was warmer. The concrete one was enclosed, but the one with pebbles was open-air. I loved soaking in that hot spring water under the bright desert stars — easily a top highlight of the trip. 

I swam in the pools both the night I arrived and early the next morning, reveling in the ability to wash off all the dirt and grime of my preceding four days without a shower. 

I left Tecopa just before sunrise on Dec. 30, next driving to Mojave National Preserve. I had planned to stay that night at Joshua Tree, but I received an email after leaving Death Valley informing me that my booked campsite was under 8" of snow and accessible only by a 4x4. So I adjusted plans once again, and once again it was for the better.

Mojave is gorgeous. I first hiked Teutonia Peak, taking my time and savoring the solitude (and the self-timer on my new iPhone ☺). 















Next, I drove around the park a little while, just exploring, before deciding to pitch my tent at the base of the giant Kelso Dunes. I climbed the tallest dune for sunset.





soft smiles for sunset

random person but I liked the shot


No comments:

Post a Comment