Monday, July 29, 2013

Iguazú, I love you

(The title of this post rhymes, in case that was unclear. Believe me, it's clever.)

This past weekend was Iguazú Falls: one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. As with any spectacular sight, pictures far surpass words in representing this experience:

First, I went to Brazil! Without a visa! I have no idea how I pulled that off
At the triple border: Argentina on the left, Paraguay in the distance in the middle, and Brazil on the right.
The border checkpoint I went through without a visa
Brazil has a more panoramic view
Notice the tiny little people 
Double rainbow!! 


Trying to give it a sense of perspective 


On the Argentinian side, the walkways went over the top of many waterfalls 
This sign made me laugh. "But it looked like such a nice place to swim!"

Up close and personal with the water

Like a fairytale...


Nature Carol in her natural environment
La Garganta del Diablo (The Devil's Throat)
Like staring into infinity 
Brand-new handrails because of flooding a few weeks before. This part of the park, the most dramatic and spectacular, re-opened the day before I got there. 

The edge of forever
Wouldn't want to get swept over that edge...
These creatures, called coatis, look vaguely cute but are actually vicious and tried to steal my lunch.
More wildlife

It's difficult to convey the immensity of Iguazú with my measly photos. Over 2.7km in width and composed of some 275 individual falls, it's the biggest waterfall in the world in terms of sheer volume. The setting makes it even better, since it's surrounded by national parks on both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides. According to worldofwaterfallsdatabase.com: This is what Niagara Falls should have been - pristine, protected and allowed to flow unabated with the full wrath of its river. This is nature at its most primal, most incredible and most spectacular. There was no question in our minds, Iguazú Falls is the best waterfall on the planet and there's really nothing else that needs to be said.

2 comments:

  1. I was devastated when I could not get on your blog! I have enjoyed so much your travels and experiences each day! Please make sure you have my email included! Love you!
    Aunt Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. So our adventure has come to an end for another summer. How fortunate you are to have experienced all of the segments - good and bad - of this summer. There are so very many people who would never have the thought, much less the opportunity to do the things that you have done these past 2 summers. The person you are becoming will serve as the basis for the success you will be. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures and reactions. I go back and re-read them and wonder where you will take us next. I wish Miller and Sydney would one day have an opportunity to have half of the unique opportunities that you have had. Miller has asked where to get information about the Roberson scholarships and I told her I would find out from you. Let me know when you get one as I hope we can connect before you leave again. Love you, C-

    ReplyDelete