Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Salta dulce

Salta, to no one's surprise, was incredible. I found that my Lonely Planet guidebook actually undersold the area; I probably wouldn't have gone if Léa hadn't planned the trip. But it was some of the most magnificent landscapes I have ever seen. Surprisingly diverse, too. Vast plains climb over into dusty desert valleys, which yield to magnificent mountain ranges with sweeping river panoramas and fascinating rock formations and stunning splashes of color that always had me on the edge of my seat, leaning forward to see more. I took 678 pictures over four days. I spent all afternoon today sorting through them and choosing the top 200 for Facebook, but now it's going to be a struggle to pick a reasonable number for the blog.

This was an experience that is better explained by pictures than words, though, so I'll do my best.


Hmm okay I just tried and I can barely keep it under 50. I'll split them up; consider this Part I.

traditional dancing on the main plaza
in front of the cabildo 
la catedral
some other famous cathedral
the dusty, dusty desert

frozen stream

beautiful rocks
Las Salinas Grandes, where I found a really cute munchkin
13,681 feet. When I climbed the Sierra Nevada mountains, the highest point I reached was 11,000 ft. 





A bodega outside Cafayate
free wine samples? yes, please
Wine-tasting in Cafayate
This stew is a traditional food in this region, made of beans, squash, and other delicious things.
This guy sold us coca leaves (from which one can make cocaine). He asked for a picture and then sang instead of posing. We ran into him again on our last day and he remembered us! 

1 comment:

  1. These photos remind me to stage scenery we rented from New York when we lived in Kinston as the backdrops for the high school plays!

    ReplyDelete