Saturday, July 6, 2024

June 11: morning in KL

My original plan was to get up early and cab 45 minutes to a cave-temple area with colorful stairs that's popular on Instagram, but I decided to take it easy instead. A cafe across the street from my hotel had french toast, which didn't taste as good as it looked but was still yummy.
The bread was a thick white bread with very little French toast coating, but underneath the granola was some yogurt that helped a lot with the dryness.

Then I set out through Chinatown in search of a postcard and stamps.
I liked the juxtaposition of this image. And the sedan trying to fit through a crowded street market.




college for goons!

Happy to report that the postcard-and-stamp outing was successful. I returned to the hotel and ate Indian leftovers for lunch, then Grabbed back to the airport. Not much of an adventure in KL; I wish I'd added that day to Vietnam instead (and moved everything else a day forward). But I would've had a layover there regardless, so I decided to make it an overnight one so I could see the city. Now I know!

And then—surprise! I found Hayley again! She was arriving in Malaysia just as I was leaving. We caught up for about 20 minutes and then she headed into the city while I headed through security. I had bought round-trip flights from Detroit to Jakarta, so I had to get back to Indonesia so that I could start the long journey home. 


In Jakarta I got into another tiff with an airport worker because they insisted that I buy a visa for entry into the country, even though I was only passing through (3h layover) and not leaving the airport. Finally I angrily forked over the $35. He tried to give me change in Indonesian money but I was like YO I'm not leaving this airport PLEASE give me change in USD! So then he gave me change in USD <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment