Tuesday, June 11, 2024

June 1: Chiang Mai Day I

The blog has made it to June! 

My first day in Chiang Mai involved a market, some temples, and some museums. The standard SE Asia activities! My favorite part was the market, which was full of beautiful hand-crafted goods and colorful, unfamiliar foods. I only took pictures of the foods:

some kind of crispy pancake roll-up thing with a colorful filling!

a chewy coconut pancake thing. I bought one of these!

it came with a thai-tea-flavored dip

Thai traditional snack waffle! can we make this a thing in the States please 🙏

a fried green snack!

sticky rice with coconut milk, soybean, and pepper!

mystery soup with toppings!

sweet fermented rice!

purple pancakes with brown sugar and black sesame seeds!

chrysanthemum juice! coconut juice! asiatic juce!

a plethora of mysterious colorful snacks!

edible mini flower bouquets for USD$1!

homemade breads with natural colors from Thai vegetables and fruits!

#1 mushroom ball! original Thai snack!

Next up, temples and lunch:




 not a fan of this policy

a dragon in a cubby


I thought this sign was funny. "MONK CHAT: Please, kindly chat with us... Don't just stand and look then walk away."

ominous mugger sign in the temple

pretty tiles in the temple

Next, museums!
decorations made for worship

carved wood

an adorable crab posing like a Thomson girl

At this point (mid-afternoon), the heat was too much for me so I Grabbed back to my homestay for some rest. Later, I ventured out for dinner. And on my third sampling of the dish, I found definitively the best pad thai in Chiang Mai.


where I bought it^^

in its 4th generation! (according to Raphael D. from Google Reviews)

the ingredients of glory

*the process*

pad thai without noodles is.... nothing? (note missing photo)

I think this was my third mango sticky rice in 24h

On the walk back to the homestay, I passed by a market with a new array of fascinating food products:



frogs!

giant crickets!

grubs! I think these are silkworms

giant grasshoppers!

cicaidas!

stuffed eggshells!

durian!

more grubs! I think these are bamboo worms

Another wonderful way to end the evening!

2 comments:

  1. can a postmenopausal woman enter the temple

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snack waffles should be on the menu for Little Spoon!

    ReplyDelete