Monday, June 3, 2024

May 23 Part II: Normal stuff in HCMC

Other things I did that day:

- searched extensively for a Vietnamese restaurant open before 8am, failed miserably, and shamefully crept into an Australian cafe where I drank this delicious cappuccino with an adorable tiny cookie:


And ate this "breakfast pie" with ketchup...

it was good tho

- After the War Remnants Museum, I went to a more general history museum and saw some ancient scripts!
I think this is Sanskrit?

According to the placard, "This inscription dating back to...1050-1066 once marked the territories free from taxes except for honey and wax, a specificity of Mekong delta.

found this guy on the sidewalk

also found some Brexit propaganda on the street

everyone knows Great Britain is known for its food!

Celebrating 49 years of peace after the fall of then-Saigon (now HCMC)

this exact tank crashed through the gates of this government building (now called Independence Palace) and was the final straw before Saigon surrendered, marking the end of the war

The tank still sits in the front yard of Independence Palace

street food

motorbike + alley

man brushing dog

more street food

my beautiful lunch

with certified ice <3

directions to my hotel (called Ekomo) down some winding alleys

Then I flew to central Vietnam! Landed in Da Nang, cabbed to my new homestay in Hoi An, and then found this incredible vegetarian dinner nearby:

Next up: Hoi An and Hue!

1 comment: