Tuesday, June 4, 2024

May 24: Scenes from Hoi An

If you want to buy food in Vietnam before 8am, you go to a street vendor.

Hoi An is known for its yellow-walled Old Town

I had a gorgeous breakfast on my first morning. I remember being very hot even under shade and fans at 8am...
fearing food poisoning, I didn't eat the apple (which gets washed in tap water) nor the passionfruit, which tastes to me a little like vomit :(
I found this aesthetically pleasing
To visit the key Old Town tourist sites, you buy a ticket that gives you entry to any 5 of some 25 sites. I wasted one on this under-construction bridge :(
whyyy did they punch my tourist card for this ðŸ˜‚
the riverfront is pretty!

by 10am I was seeking refuge from the heat (upper 90s at this point) in museums. This is a Vietnamese unicorn (important sacred animal)

Vietnamese people love sitting on tiny stools at low tables

more evidence of the tiny stools

a tourist's essentials: tea, coffee, dried mango, souvenir.

pretty!

Hoi An is also known for its colored hanging silk lamps

an aesthetically pleasing wall

I tried the egg coffee, which is a regional specialty, but did not brave the "egg beer"



museum photos depicting a flood in Hoi An. See below for details...

top photo: "He Saved his pet dog at considerable risk to his own life." bottom photo: "Tourists enjoy taking boat tours in flood." ðŸ™„

I like this description as "garlic-shaped"


by 11am I retreated back to my homestay for a cold shower and some rest in the A/C
I next found lunch, caffeine, a/c, and wifi at a vegetarian restaurant near the water.

they gave me this napkin rose ðŸ¥¹
a woman nearby had scarily long hair
Then I got a 60-min massage for $16! starting with this foot bath
Hoi An is also very pretty at night!



In the evening, I talked to my sisters on our weekly ~sister call~ and then met up with Hayley—surprise! she was also in Hoi An, but with a different group of friends at first. We walked around together, taking in the lights and hordes of tourists, and then went to bed early in preparation for our sunrise kayak outing the next morning!

1 comment: