Wednesday, June 5, 2024

May 26: Road trip to Hue

On the 26th, we left Hoi An around 7:30am and drove to Hue with several stops along the way. First, some ancient temple ruins called My Son Sanctuary (4th-13th centuries): 

I like the ancient scripts










By 9:30am, the real feel (temp+humidity) was 100 degrees F. By 10:30, it was 104 and climbing fast. 

Next, we headed to a collection of temple-caves in a set of mountains called the Marble Mountains. At first, we ended up in a very creepy area depicting demons and dead people and torture. We were like.... where are we??
this was the most benign of the creepy things.

Then we realized the real Marble Mountain temples were on the other side of the mountain. We took an elevator up and walked around a little before the heat drove us back to our air-conditioned cab. I desperately searched Google for "vegan aircon restaurants" and we found a Cali-esque place that had mediocre food but excellent a/c. 
view from the top of Marble Mountain

I had a weird vegan bbq pizza

Our final stop on the way to Hue was along a scenic drive hugging the coastal mountains. I didn't take any photos on my phone, so you'll have to wait for those. We got to Hue around 5pm, and for the life of me I can't remember what we did that night. We probably just rested! So I'll end on this pic my roommate sent me of my cat that day:


I am learning that I have lost all my tolerance for heat since moving to Michigan! When it goes above 90 my brain starts to melt, no matter how much I hydrate. I did not fully enjoy central Vietnam because of the weather, but I would like to go back someday during a cooler season! 

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I would like for you to talk about air conditioning more...

    ReplyDelete